Homestead Exemption meetings scheduled
The Summit County Fiscal Office will host a series of community outreach sessions throughout the county to educate the public about changes to the homestead exemption, brought through the passage of Ohio House Bill 59.
Beginning with tax year 2014, new participants in the homestead program will be subject to a means test of $30,000 or less per year, which includes the Ohio adjusted gross income of the owner and the owner's spouse.
The Fiscal Office is providing an opportunity for eligible homeowners to enroll now, before the means test is applied. Staff will be on-hand at the locations listed below. The Fiscal Office will also issue the new veteran identification card during appearances at the branch libraries and Lehner Community Center in Munroe Falls.
• Fairlawn-Bath Branch Library, 3103 Smith Road, Fairlawn, Oct. 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (veteran identification card also available)
• Richfield Branch Library, 3761 S. Grant St., Richfield, on Oct. 22 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (veteran identification card also available)
• Lehner Community Center, 35 S. River Road, Munroe Falls, Oct. 23 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (veteran identification card also available)
• Odom Boulevard Branch Library, 600 Vernon Odom Blvd., Akron, Oct. 24 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (veteran identification card also available)
• Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Road, Mogadore, Oct. 25 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (veteran identification card also available)