Library Association announces
The Tallmadge Library Association is announced the recipient of the 2014 Tallmadge Library Association Scholarship Grant in the amount of $2,500 is Brooke VanDerlin. VanDerlin is an employee of the Tallmadge Branch of the Akron/Summit County Public Library and is pursuing an advanced degree in library and information science from Kent State University.
Bouncing Baby Rhyme Times -- Tuesdays, June 17 through July 22, 10 a.m. For babies up to age 24 months with a caregiver. Features 20 minutes of rhymes, songs and stories followed by a 20 minute group playtime.
Baby Play Group -- Fridays, noon to 1 p.m. For babies up to 24 months and a caregiver. Meet new friends while taking the little one to the library for a first play group experience. Join other moms, dads, grandparents and caregivers for a group play time. The library will provide developmentally appropriate toys and a meeting space.
Preschool Science and Nature Tales -- Tuesdays, July 1 through 22, 11 a.m. For children ages 2 through 6 and their families. Connect with science and nature through stories, songs, activities and crafts.
• July 1 -- Ocean Friends
• July 8 -- Batty Bats
• July 15 -- Creepy Crawlies
• July 22 -- Dinosaurs
Mind Body & Sole Open House -- June 2, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Science Explorations with the library's Fizz, Boom, Read Team. Drop by and sign up for Mind Body & Sole: Read At Your Own Pace. Enjoy a frozen treat and take part in some crazy science activities with the library's teen volunteers. Get a head start on summer reading and walking goal by taking part in the library storywalk.
For all ages. Children younger than 5 should be accompanied by an adult.
Paws for Reading -- Every first and third Saturday of the month, 1 to 2 p.m. Look for therapy dogs, Caesar or Sophie, in the Children's area and improve reading skills by reading to a furry friend. Take along a book or choose one from the library shelves.
NatureConnect: Winter Into Spring -- Anytime the library is open stop by the NatureConnect space and see what's new. Test skills of observation, learn something new and get creative with nature.
Fabulous Family Fun -- Thursdays, 2 p.m., featuring entertainment and creative fun for all ages.
• June 12 -- Magician, Rick Smith Jr.
• June 19 -- Verb Ballet, Shape Imagination Workshop
•June 26 -- Akron Zoomobile
• July 3 -- Gumdrop Engineering. Use building skills to make some sweet sculptures with toothpicks and candy. Younger children must be accompanied by an adult helper.
• July 10 -- Mad Science
• July 17 -- The Bubble Lady
• July 24 -- Outback Ray Live Animal Show
• July 31 -- Weathervane Theatre Presents "Superhero Future"
Cool Off with Summertime Family Movies -- Wednesdays, 1 p.m. For all ages, children younger than age 5 must be accompanied by an adult. Children may take a packed lunch if they like. The library will provide a beverage.
• June 11 -- "DisneyNature African Cats," 89 minutes, G
• June 25 -- "Meet The Robinsons," 96 minutes, G
• July 9 -- "Frozen," 108 minutes, PG
• July 23 -- "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2," 94 minutes, PG
• Aug. 6 -- "Despicable Me 2," 98 minutes, PG
Teen Mind Body & Sole Volunteer Program -- May 30, 3 p.m. Love the library? Need service hours? Teens aged 13 through 18 are invited to volunteer at the library this summer. Ask at the desk for an application and make sure to attend the May 30 mandatory meeting.
Teen Tuesdays, 2 p.m. Grades 5 through 12.
• June 17 -- "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," 146 minutes, PG-13
• June 24 -- Cookie Bouquets
• July 1 -- "Ender's Game," 114 minutes, PG-13
• July 8 -- T-Shirt Tote Bag Recycled Craft
• July 15 -- "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy," 110 minutes, PG
• July 22 -- Nature Drawing for Teens
• July 29 -- Teen Book Swap, take old books to swap for something new to them
Volunteer Pizza Party -- Aug. 5. All teen summer volunteers are invited to a pizza party with games and giveaways and the Mind Body & Sole wrap-up.
Learn American Sign Language -- Thursdays, June 5, 12, 19, 6:30 p.m. Ever thought about learning American Sign Language, the third most used language in the U.S.? Not only will it allow participants to communicate with the deaf and learn about their culture, but it could come in handy for other situations in life, too. Join this three week class to find out more. Advance registration requested.
De-Stressing with Yoga -- June 14, 10:30 a.m. to noon. Join yoga instructors Paul DiFranco and Shari Romsey who will discuss and demonstrate techniques from yoga and meditation that can help lessen, prevent and ameliorate the effects of stress. Participants are invited to take a floor mat and to wear comfortable clothing.
Tallmadge History Program: Territory Losses -- July 17, 6:30 p.m. Ever wondered what Tallmadge's original boundaries were? What happened to some of the corners? Join Mike Mahaney, vice-president of the Tallmadge Historical Society, as he presents a chronological presentation of how the original town of Tallmadge became the city residents know today.
Early Fall Tussie Mussie for the Door Décor -- July 21, 6 p.m. Join Bea Richardson and design a floral craft to adorn the front door. All supplies are provided. Limit 20. Advance registration requested.
Acrylic Art Class -- Aug. 9, 1 p.m. Learn how to paint a sunset step-by-step and take home a painting at the end of the class. The class is designed for the beginner and the more advanced. All supplies are included. Limit 20. Advance registration requested.
Book Discussions -- Mondays, 6:30 p.m.
• June 9 -- "The Ruins of Lace" by Iris Anthony
• July 14 -- "Metropolitan Case" by Matthew Gallaway
• Aug. 11 -- "The Orchardist" by Amanda Coplin
Computer Training -- No registration is required. Attendance will be based on a numbering system with 15 tickets being distributed outside the classroom 30 minutes prior to class start.
• July 28, 2 p.m. -- Mouse Skills for Beginners
• July 29, 10:30 a.m. -- Introduction to Computers
• July 30, 2 p.m. -- Windows for Beginners
• July 31, 10:30 a.m. -- File Management
Knit & Crochet Club -- Thursdays, June 5, July 3, Aug. 7, 3 to 4:30 p.m.
Tallmadge Branch Library Hours
• Monday, Tuesday, Thursday -- 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Wednesday, Friday -- Noon to 6 p.m.
• Saturday -- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Closed Sunday
Coffee with the
Coffee with the Editor is scheduled for the third Tuesday of the month from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.