Tallmadge — Following a public hearing, City Council authorized the mayor to enter into a contract for trash and recycling collection with Republic Waste Services.
The measure to move from multiple private haulers to one city-contracted hauler was considered after it was determined 97 percent of Tallmadge residents utilize Republic while the remaining 3 percent use Huth Rubbish Service.
Benefits to the community include less traffic and wear and tear on city streets and lower (about $34 per year) rates.
To reduce customers’ bills from $14.68 to $12.95 per month, Mayor Dave Kline chose to “piggy back” on the city of Barberton’s public bid for a four-year contract with Republic, allowing Tallmadge to take advantage of better pricing than it would get by going out to public bid by itself.
The citywide switch will be effective Jan. 1, 2014. Kline said the transition should be “seamless.”
Customers will receive trash carts with a 96-gallon capacity, and larger recycling bins on wheels that accommodate 65 gallons of recyclables would replace the smaller carry-out bins that sit on the ground. Trash and recyclables collection will remain at once each week.
For more on this story, see Sunday’s Express and/or visit www.tallmadgeexpress.com.