Heading Logo

Tallmadge boys soccer team's losing streak reaches four games

Published: October 9, 2016 12:00 AM

by Frank Aceto

Associate Sports Editor

Tallmadge -- The Tallmadge boys soccer team has been in a bit of a funk in recent weeks.

The host Blue Devils fell to 6-5-2 overall and 1-3-1 in the Suburban League American Conference after falling to Revere 5-1 Oct. 4 at Thomas Rossiaky Stadium. Tallmadge also lost to Suburban League crossover rival Cuyahoga Falls 4-1 Oct. 1 at Rossiaky Stadium.

The Blue Devils had a four-game losing streak as of press time.

[Article continues below]

Against the Minutemen, Revere had a 5-0 lead at one point. Suhaib Mahameed scored the lone goal for Tallmadge. Eric Hussing was credited with the assist.

Blue Devil goalkeepers Tommy Kilway and Josh Rayl finished with six and two saves, respectively. Revere had a 12-5 advantage in shots on goal and a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.

Against the Black Tigers, Tallmadge fell behind 3-0 16 minutes 11 seconds into the game. The first two goals took place 38 seconds apart.

"They scored three goals really quickly," Blue Devils' senior defender Jerry Walsh said. "I thought it was a pretty close game after that."

Falls' senior Zach Lias made it 1-0 a little more than 10 minutes into the contest with a left-footed shot into the lower right corner of the net. Senior Greg McDevitt was credited with the assist.

[Article continues below]

In the blink of an eye, the Black Tigers (4-8-2) made it 2-0.

This time, senior Diego Mendoza found the net with his left foot off an assist from Lias.

Falls' third goal may have been the most impressive.

From approximately 45 yards away, junior Evan Hodson sent a free kick over the head of Blue Devils' senior goalkeeper Tommy Kilway and into the net.

Tallmadge came to a life a bit in the second half.

The Blue Devils finally got on the board when a foul was called on Falls in its penalty box.

Senior midfielder Mitch Makuch took the penalty kick and his shot found the net to cut Tallmadge's deficit to 3-1 with 29:08 left.

The Blue Devils had some chances to close the gap, but the Black Tigers' defense was able to stop Tallmadge's passes to the middle of the field throughout the afternoon.

Falls put it away with 6:37 remaining.

A hand ball was called on the Blue Devils and senior Ryan Kerby converted the penalty kick for the final goal.

"We played hard to the whistle," Walsh said. "We didn't give up.

"Because of the field, we couldn't play our usual passing style. We had some bad bounces."

The Black Tigers had a 7-5 advantage in shots on goal and a 3-0 edge in corner kicks. Falls' senior goalie Tanner Treptow made four saves in the nets.

Although the Black Tigers led most of the way, Walsh felt his team had the better end of it down the stretch.

"I thought we dominated the last few minutes," Walsh said. "We need to get together an practice harder and warm up harder."

Tallmadge was scheduled to visit Cardinal Oct. 8 in Middlefield. Results were not available at press time.

The Blue Devils are set to visit American Conference foe Aurora Oct. 11 before concluding their regular season with a home game against Akron North. Both varsity contests are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

Email: faceto@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9444

Facebook: FrankAcetoRecordPublishingCoSports

Twitter: FrankAceto_RPC

Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.